A lot has happened since WhatsApp was started in 2009, the biggest of which was its acquisition by Facebook in 2014. By 2016, the app has more than one billion users therefore making it the most popular messaging application in the world.
Like most apps, it’s available for most of the major platforms including Android which means it can be installed on any Samsung device. While that’s true, there are some specifications that must be met.
Requirements to Install WhatsApp on Samsung Devices
In order to install WhatsApp on a Samsung device, it needs to hit the following minimum requirements:
- The OS must be Android 2.1 or higher
- The user needs to have an unlimited internet data plan
And as long as there are requirements, there are also limitations. Users of tablet devices cannot install WhatsApp. It remains to be seen whether or not this will change in the future.
Downloading and Installing WhatsApp
There are different ways to download and install WhatsApp onto your device. Here they are:
Downloading an APK to a Computer
- Go to the official website of WhatsApp.
- Head over to the Download page.
- Pick what mobile platform you have on the Download WhatsApp for Phones section. In this case, it would be Android.
- Click on the Download Now link. This will download an APK file to your computer.
- Allow installation from Unknown Sources on your device. To do this, go to Menu -> Settings -> Security then tick Unknown Sources.
- Connect your device to the computer. Copy the APK file to your device.
- Find the APK file on your device. Tap on it to install.
Downloading an APK on Device
- Download the APK file from the official WhatsApp site.
- Find the APK file on the device.
- Tap on the file to install.
Downloading through the Google Play Store
- Go to the Play Store and search for WhatsApp.
- Tap on Install.
WhatsApp is a great platform for cost-effective communication but users must also have security measures in place to avoid privacy breaches.