The Taiwanese company will no longer release updates for the One M8 flagship, so users will have to get along with Android 6.0 Marshmallow or install Nougat via a custom ROM and CyanogenMod is the best recommendation, as it was created by skilled developers who are part of a large community. So, if you have this device and want to upgrade it to 7.1 Nougat, today we’ll teach you how to install CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM on it.
Before starting the installation process, we must warn you that the CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM is an experimental version and it contains annoying bugs. If you don’t mind them, then this is what you must do:
– Root your HTC One M8;
– Install the USB driver on your PC to recognize your device;
– Make sure that your phone has 80 percent battery left;
– Install Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP on your phone to back up data, because it will be wiped out during the installation of custom ROM;
– Download CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android v7.1 Nougat custom ROM from here and Google Apps from here, then place the files into your HTC One M8’s SD card memory, after connecting it via USB cable;
– boot.img file must be placed in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory;
– The phone will be turned off and disconnected from PC;
– Enter the Recovery Mode by press holding Volume (down) and Power buttons;
– While in the Bootloader mode on the phone, head to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools (on the PC), then open Command prompt and type in: “fastboot flash boot boot.img” and press enter.
– Type in: “fastboot reboot” and select BOOTLOADER option to enter Recovery Mode;
– Now, you will clear the phone memory, by selecting “wipe data/factory reset”;
– Next, select “wipe cache partition” to clear the cache memory;
– Go back to the ClockworkMod recovery and choose “advanced”, then and tap “wipe dalvik cache”, which is an optional step;
– Return to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD card”;
– Tap “choose zip from sdcard” and go to the folder where you’ve saved the Android 7.1 Nougat ROM to start the installation process. Now follow the same steps to install Google Apps;
– Wait until the installation process is done, then navigate to “+++++Go Back+++++”;
– Restart the device by selecting “reboot system now”;
– The HTC One M8 will complete the booting process in a few minutes;
– Go to Settings and select “About phone” to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android v7.1 Nougat custom ROM.
That’s it! Enjoy using Android v7.1 Nougat on your HTC One M8!
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.
Every techie needs a pair of sick headphones. Neurogadget recommends these Audio Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones for both their quality and their cool-factor.