The Galaxy S5 was released in April 2014 and users who want to stick to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, which is the latest OS released for it, are able to install 7.0 Nougat via a custom ROM. Zephyr custom firmware offers Nougat’s features and other exclusive features, it’s fast and stable and below we’ll teach you how to install it on your Galaxy S5.
These are the features that are offered by Zephyr Android 7.0 Nougat:
- STATUSBAR: Carrier Label customizations, Quick Pulldown, AOSPA battery styles, Clock & Date customization, Network Traffic indicator, status bar brightness control and Task Manager;
- NAVIGATION/RECENTS: DT2S on navbar, recents panel search bar toggle, Hardware buttons action (for HWnavkeys devices only) and Longpress recents button to switch between apps;
- LOCKSCREEN: Middle Lockscreen shortcuts (custom apps), Quick unlock, Music seek control when screen locked, Volume rocker wake and LockScreen Music Visualizer;
- NOTIFICATION DRAWER: Customize quick settings tiles (add/delete/rearrange), Brightness slider toggle, Vibrate on touch, toggle status bar icons, Time contextual Headers, Disable Quick Settings in secured lockscreen;
- OTHER FEATURES: Gestures (Hand Wave/Pocket mode), Dashboard switches, SUBSTRATUM for theming, Per app expanded desktop control, Multi window mode, Paranoid Android’s Floating Window, Ability to pause/resume downloads, Custom Ambient Display settings, AppOps/Privacy Guard and Reset Battery Stats option.
Before updating your Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 7.0 ROM, make sure that the device is rooted, that USB debugging mode is enabled from developer menu, that you have a custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM installed, that your data is baked up and that the battery has at least 70 percent juice left.
After downloading Zephyr Android 7.0 ROM to your computer, copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card, using a USB cable. Then, turn off your phone and unplug it from PC, then reboot into Recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power keys. In Recovery mode you will take a Nandroid backup of your data, by selecting Backup and Restore > Backup again. Return to main recovery menu and select wipe data/factory reset and tap Yes to confirm your action. After a few minutes, you will return to CWM recovery menu and select Wipe Cache Partition, then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
After that, you’ll choose to install zip from sdcard and you’ll locate the Zephyr zip file from SD card. Press the Power button to select it, then confirm installation by selecting Yes. When the ROM installation will complete, you’ll return to the main recovery menu, where you will select reboot system.
Every techie needs a pair of sick headphones. Neurogadget recommends these Audio Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones for both their quality and their cool-factor.