The latest stable version of Java is 8. While a new version was supposed to be released this year, some setbacks pushed the release date of Java 9 to March 2017. While Java 8 is a stable release, occasional patches are sent out to address issues.
As of this writing, the latest security release is Java SE 8u102. That version, however, is a patch-set update. Meaning, Java SE 8u101 was the one that included all the important security fixes and additional features were bundled with 8u102. Also keep in mind that 8u102 also includes all the fixes addressed in 8u101).
Here are some details about this release:
- The full version string for this update is 1.8.0_102-b14 where b stands for “build.”
- The version number of this release is 8u102.
- This update contains IANA time zone data version 2016d. These are basically changes to time zones. Here are the changes:
- Switching America/Caracas from -0430 to -04.
- Switching Asia/Magadan from +10 to +11.
- Adding new zone Asia/Tomsk which split off from Asia/Novosibirsk. It covers Tomsk Oblast, Russia and switches from +06 to +07.
- Adding new zone Europe/Kirov which split off from Europe Volgograd. It covers Kirov Oblast, Russia and switches from +04/+05 to +03/+04.
- Correcting historical time in Kazakhstan from 1991 through 2005. Also includes replacing Kazakhstan’s invented time zone abbreviations with numeric abbreviations.
JRE Expiration Date
JRE or Java Runtime Environment expires when a release with security vulnerability fixes are made available. Critical patches that contain such fixes are announced a year in advance and can be checked through the Critical Patch Updates, Security Alerts and Third Party Bulletin on Oracle’s site. The JRE for version 8u102 is set to expire when the next critical patch is released on October 19, 2016.
In case Oracle Servers can’t be reached on the scheduled update date, a secondary mechanism will expire the JRE on November 19, 2016. After that, you will be getting warnings and reminders to update to the latest JRE version.
Java is widely used in many applications and whenever security updates are released, we must install them as soon as possible. This is one way of ensuring the safety and security of products.