Google Maps is one of the most popular orientation apps that is currently used. Being widely used, it is also continuously expanding and improving. However, there are many tricks that are unknown to lots of users and which might prove to be really useful.
- Ride-sharing. This is not something new on the market, but what is new is the fact that Google introduced options like Uber in its app. After you enter the destination, you can tap on a small taxi icon which will show what ridesharing options are found near you, how long it will take you to get there and how much it will cost.
- Search for places nearby. If you’re in a new city and you don’t know where to go to eat, for instance, just type in “cafe” or “restaurant” and Maps will show you the closest place to your location.
- Watch the traffic. If you’re accessing the desktop version of Maps, you will be able to see real-time traffic information if you click on the “Traffic” option on the upper left corner. Choosing Live Traffic will present you the current conditions, while going for Typical Traffic will show you the usual patterns at some specific hours.
- See indoor mapping. Though this option is not fully developed yet, it has been included in the bigger Maps system. Indoor street views have also been introduced to the Web version recently and in some locations you can even switch between various floors.
- Use it in a smart way. For phones or devices that do not have the hardware required to support more complex functions, Maps also offers a Lite mode. It automatically detects whether you can access features such as 3D Earth view and automatically switches to a more basic interface. You’ll know you’re into Lightning mode if you see a small lightning bolt at the lower right side of the window.
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.