Communicating via WhatsApp seems to be getting only better, and improvements have definitely continued after Zuckerberg and Facebook acquired the messaging app. Aside from sending instant messages and videos to local or international contacts, you can make voice calls too; video call features are also in the works according to recent reports. So if you don’t have WhatsApp on your smartphone yet, here is how you can install it on your Android or iOS mobile device and start enjoying free calls to friends or loved ones.
WhatsApp Voice Calls for Android
- Go to the Google PlayStore and search for the latest version of WhatsApp. You will know it is the most recent version that includes a voice call feature because it will have three tabs namely, contacts, chats, and calls.
- Click on ‘Install’ and wait for the app to finish downloading on your smartphone.
- An alternative is to go to the official website of WhatsApp and go to the Download page for Android. Click on ‘Download Now’ and wait for the app to fully finish installing. Take note that your mobile device must have at least OS 2.1 and that it is recommended that you have an unlimited data plan to avoid any charges when you use the voice call feature.
- Allow WhatsApp to have access to your address book so it can import your list of contacts. You can also add friends’ numbers manually in the app.
- To start making voice calls on your Android smartphone, make sure that the person you want to call is in your WhatsApp contact list. Go to the contacts tab and look for the name of the individual you want to call.
- Once you find that person, click on his or her name. This will lead you to that individual’s profile.
- At the top of the chat history, you will find two tabs, one is with a phone icon and the other is with an attachment button. Press the call button to start a voice call with your friend.
- An alternative to steps 5, 6, and 7 is to open the chat with the individual you want to call, then tap on the phone icon you see on top.
WhatsApp Voice Calls for iOS
- Go to the iTunes store and search for the latest version of WhatsApp to install the app on your iPhone.
- Once it has finished downloading, allow WhatsApp to have access to the address book in your phone so your friends and family will automatically be added to the Contacts list. Go to Settings > Privacy > Contacts.
- If you want to manually add a contact, open the app and go to ‘Contacts’. Then click the (+) icon, enter the individual’s name and contact details, then press ‘Done’.
- To make a voice call on your iOS device, go to your Contacts list and search for the person you want to call.
- Choose that individual to open his or her profile.
- There will be a phone icon; press that to start your voice call.
- You can also go to the ‘Chat’ tab, then tap on the profile picture of the friend you want to call. This will provide you with the option to call the person.
Make sure that you have the compatible OS and the latest WhatsApp version for your smartphone. Also, be wary of fake WhatsApp versions and to check with your service provider regarding any charges that may apply when using the Whatsapp voice call feature.
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.