If we were to base on how long, after the release of Android Marshmallow, Sony Xperia models got the new update, mobile owners are likely to get Android 7.0 Nougat about the same time as Samsung Galaxy, which will be on the first quarter of 2017. This should be a reason to feel bad, except that Sony Xperia owners have an option to install the developer preview on their phones. Sorry Samsung pips. You might want to get an Xperia.
So even if Android N would reach Sony Xperia Q1 of 2017, they can get a glimpse and feel of it beforehand. And the latest version is the Android 7.0 Nougat Developer Preview 5, which contains improvements, bug fixes and features. Considering that it’s a near-final build, you are actually experiencing the closest you can get to the gold standard version. That is, if you install Preview 5 on your Sony Xperia. This is only applicable for the Sony Xperia Z3.
How to get Android 7.0 Nougat Developer Preview 5
- Make sure to back up your device before installation. Enable the built-in backup feature. Go to Settings > Backup & Reset. See that both the ‘Automatic restore’ and ‘Backup my data’ are checked.
- Sign up your device at the Android Beta website using your Google account. Scroll down to search for your device on the list of eligible devices, then click Enroll device.
- Wait for a notification that an update is waiting for you and then install it.
An alternative would be to download and install the Android 7.0 system image manually. But this process is a lot more complicated and riskier. You won’t get automatic updates with this process as well.
If you want to switch back to your old Android operating system, simply un-enroll your device on the Android Beta Program website.
With the Android N Developer Preview 5 installed, you can then check out and test some of the cool new features.
- Access Quick Settings with ease
- Edit the Quick Settings
- Rearrange icons through drag and drop
- Close open apps all at once using the Clear All option
- Double tap on the Recents icon to go back to the previous app, jump between two apps, or re-open a recently closed app
Andorid N has other promising features that Sony Xperia owners look forward to. But those who own any of the Z5 series, Z4 Tablet and Z3+ may have to wait longer than the first quarter launch, since the new Xperia X series is likely to get the new operating system first.
Learn more about Android Nougat best features.
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.
Every techie needs a pair of sick headphones. Neurogadget recommends these Audio Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones for both their quality and their cool-factor.