In the list of Top 10 Trending Smartphones of week 25 by GSMArena, the first and second spots were occupied by Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016), respectively. It seems both mobile phones are very close competitors with one trying to outrank the other. If this was a marathon, Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 and Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016) are likely to be neck to neck.
But why is the rivalry so strong and tough?
It could be that both mobile gadgets have the same price or similar features. But there are some things that make one smartphone better than the other.
The Redmi series, which includes the Note 3, has always been Xiaomi’s bread and butter. If Redmi failed in the market, the brand name would not have made enough noise to be recognized along with big names in the smartphone arena. The Samsung J series, on the other hand, which includes the Galaxy J7 (2016), is just one of the flagship devices of the Korean brand, and an affordable one at that. So Samsung would still thrive even if the J series didn’t sell much, although it will definitely help expand their client base to include those looking for a mid-range smartphone.
But in terms of specifications, the Redmi Note 3 proves to be a worthy opponent of the Galaxy J7 (2016).
Redmi Note 3 Specifications
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 650; Adreno 510
- 2GB RAM with 16GB storage/3GB RAM with 32GB storage; microSD support
- 5.5-inch, 1920×1080 IPS LCD
- 16 megapixel rear camera with PDAF, dual LED flash
- 5 megapixel front camera
- Fingerprint sensor
- 4050mAh battery
Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016) Specifications
- Exynos 7870 ; octa-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A53; Mali-T830 GPU
- 2GB of RAM, 16GB of inbuilt storage, microSD slot (up to 128GB)
- 13MP main camera with f/1.9 lens, LED flash, 1080p@30fps video recording
- 5MP front camera with LED flash, f/2.0 lens, 1080p@30fps video recording
- 5.5-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen of 720p resolution and 268ppi
- 3,300mAh removable battery
But a major distinguishing feature is that the Redmi Note 3 has an aluminum body, while the Galaxy J7 (2016) has a plastic back with metal frame. Design-wise, the former presents a more reliable option.
Of course, if you buy a smartphone based on performance, you might have a hard time making a decision. After all, the difference in the capabilities between the Snapdragon and the Exynos chipset is negligible.
Get more information on specs and features comparison.
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.