If you’re a big fan of WhatsApp, you probably already know that the Facebook-owned company has released a desktop version of its popular messaging app a few days ago. You may also have heard both praises and criticisms of the new app from your friends, family members, and other people. The question now is this: is it time for you to get WhatsApp desktop version, or will it just be a waste of your time?
Only you can decide the answer to this. But, to make things easier, you can take a look at these pros and cons to see if WhatsApp’s desktop app is perfect for you or not.
- Obviously, the new app allows you to use WhatsApp on your PC or Mac computer. This is great if you’re not allowed to use your smartphone at work but would really like to have a chat with your friends. This is also excellent if you’re doing research or making reports/spreadsheets/etc. on your computer and don’t have time to keep on glancing at your phone.
- The desktop app is browser-independent and will remain functional even if your web browser goes wonky. On the other side of the coin, it also won’t cause your browser to crash and freeze because it runs on its own. If the desktop app hangs, you can easily isolate and fix it since it won’t affect other programs.
- If you’d close your web browser and open it again, you won’t need to log back in to your WhatsApp account since the desktop is independent from your browser.
- Your phone has to be on and connected to the internet before you can use WhatsApp’s desktop app. This isn’t exactly a new concept since it’s also required when you use the web browser version, but it can be a big bummer particularly if your phone’s battery has died or if you no longer have data.
- The new desktop app doesn’t allow you to transfer certain kinds of media. WhatsApp may change this in a future update but, for now, you need to find ways to get around this problem. In terms of MP3s, for example, you can change the file extension to .MP4 or actually convert the file into an MP4 document.
These are just some of the pros and cons of the new WhatsApp desktop app.
Do you have anything to add to this list? Tell us in the comments section below!