Kingdom Hearts 3 is on the horizon. It might be a distant horizon, a year or two out from now, but it’s still quickly approaching. If you’re new to the series, this is your chance to catch up before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out.
Contrary to what the numbering suggests, there are far more than three important games in the series. If you go into Kingdom Hearts 3 with knowledge of only Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2, you’ll be incredibly lost. Fortunately, if you have a PlayStation 3 and a PlayStation 4, you’ll be able to easily catch up. If you don’t, it will be a little more complicated.
So, what do you need to play to catch up before Kingdom Hearts 3?
The Easy Way (PS3 + PS4)
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (PS3) – This contains Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, and remastered cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (PS3) – This contains Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix, and remastered cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts Re:coded.
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PS4, forthcoming) – This contains a remaster of Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, a new short piece called Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep–A Fragmentary Passage, and a new HD cinematic called Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover.
In general, the remixes present them in the order they should be played. However, it is arguably better to play Kingdom Hearts 2 before watching the 358/2 Days cutscenes.
The Harder Way
If you can’t play the remixes, you’ll want to hunt down the games in their original forms.
- Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA) or Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS2)
- Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)
- Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (PSP)
- Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (DS) – arguably one that can be skipped
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
What About Unchained χ?
Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ is a bit of an oddity. It is for iOS and Android only, and it is not included in the remixes. However, Back Cover is set at the same time, though from a different perspective.
The Kingdom Hearts series can look daunting when you first see it. However, whether you can play the remixes or have to seek out the originals, it’s worth catching up on the story before Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out.
Want to enhance your gaming experience? Maybe try a new mouse. Neurogadget recommends Logitech's Gaming Mouse for both its quality and gaming functionality.