When it comes to WhatsApp, its an application which is a must-have for pretty much everyone who has a smartphone, unfortunately however, until recently, smartphones weren’t nearly as accessible for everyone as they are at the moment.
Currently we have three major smartphone operating systems, Apple’s iOS, Google’s Android and Microsoft’s Windows, these are the three operating systems which prevailed and currently hold the highest market shares for handheld devices.
Symbian Phones – Nokia, Sony Ericson, Samsung
Symbian is the operating system which was used in many Nokia phones, for users of those devices, they don’t have to switch to Android, iOS or Windows just to be able to install WhatsApp on their phones, thankfully the folks at WhatsApp have been kind enough to provide users of Symbian devices with a functioning version of WhatsApp.
How to get WhatsApp on Nokia Symbian phones
You don’t have to look much farther than the official WhatsApp website, they have a list of various devices which they support and maintain, here’s a quick snippet from their official website.
Supported device list:
- X7, E6, N8, C6, C7, E7
- 500, 600, 603, 700, 701, 808
- S60 5th edition:
- Nokia 5800, Nokia 5530, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5233, Nokia 5235
- Nokia N97, Nokia N97 mini
- Nokia X6, Nokia X5-01
- Nokia C6, Nokia C5-03
- Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
- Sony Ericsson Satio, Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro
- S60 3rd edition:
- Nokia 5700, Nokia 6110, Nokia 6120, Nokia 6121, Nokia 6124, Nokia 6700, Nokia 6290
- Nokia E51, Nokia E63, Nokia E66, Nokia E71, Nokia E90 Communicator
- Nokia N76, Nokia N81, Nokia N81 8GB, Nokia N82, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB
- Nokia 5320, Nokia 5630, Nokia 5730, Nokia 6210, Nokia 6220, Nokia 6650 fold, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6720, Nokia 6730, Nokia 6760 Slide, Nokia 6790 Surge
- Nokia C5, Nokia E52, Nokia E55, Nokia E72, Nokia E73, Nokia E75, Nokia E5, Nokia N78, Nokia N79, Nokia N85, Nokia N86 8MP, Nokia N96
- Samsung GT-i8510, Samsung GT-I7110, Samsung SGH-L870, Samsung SGH-G810, Samsung SGH-iNNN
Now you might have noticed that this list has quite a long list of phones, from various manufacturers, well that’s because before Android, Symbian was one of the other most used operating system for mobile phones.
Here’s the link to WhatsApp’s download page if you have one of the above phones, simply click on the big shiny green download button it’ll start downloading the .sis file which you can transfer to your device, alternatively you can also directly download the file on your device by following the same link.
But this is not all, if you have a Nokia Series 40 (S40) device, or well, one of these:
- Nokia C3-00, Nokia C3-01, Nokia X2-01, Nokia X3-02, Nokia X3-02.5 (Refresh), Nokia X2-00
- Nokia Asha:
- 201, 205 Chat Edition, 206, 208, 210, 300, 301, 302, 303, 305, 306, 308, 309, 310, 311, 515, 500, 501, 502, 503, 230
Then you’re still in luck. Simply open this link on your device. You’ll have to open the link on your device though, since not doing so means you won’t be able to access anything and will be greeted by a “your device isn’t supported” message.
We don’t know how long WhatsApp will keep on supporting these devices, but we do know that for the time being, they’re perfectly happy providing you with the ability to use your internet connect to skip the tedious process of waiting for text messages to deliver (SMS is slow!)
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.