HTC One M9, M8, and the Desire series On Sprint, US Cellular, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile Are Getting Android M 6.0 Marshmallow, While OnePlus One Users Can Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via Darkobas custom ROM
The HTC 10 was announced on April 12 and this flagship comes pre-loaded with Android 6.0 Marshmallow, but older flagships and other mid-range models are now getting this update in the US. Months ago, Marshmallow rolled out to the unlocked versions of the HTC One M9 and M8 and now carriers such as Sprint, US Cellular, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are releasing this update as well. On the other hand, if you own an OnePlus One flagship, you can install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via Darkobas custom ROM.
The good news is that other HTC models from the “One” series (M9+, E9+, E9, ME, E8 and M8 EYE), the Butterfly 3 and three Desire models (826, 820 and 816) are also eligible to be upgraded. Unfortunately, HTC hasn’t announced when Android Marshmallow is coming to these smartphones, but it is good to know that the international versions of the Desire Eye, Desire 816 and One M8 Eye are already running on this operating system in India. But, if you want to check if the update is available for your device, you can go to Settings > System Update.
As for the OnePlus One device that was released in June 2014 with Android 4.4.2 KitKat out of the box, users can upgrade it to 5.1.1 Lollipop. The Chinese manufacturer hasn’t announced if Marshmallow will arrive on this smartphone any time soon, but users who want to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on it can do it via Darkobas custom ROM. This operating system is free of bloatwares, it has a clean interface, just like pure Android OS and it has all new features released by Google.
Users who want to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow-based Darkobas custom ROM on their OnePlus One devices will need to install USB drivers on their PC, otherwise the phones won’t be detected, and they will need to backup data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP. Also, the battery of the OnePlus one must be charged at least 80 percent, because if the installation process is interrupted mid-way, the device will get bricked.
Here are the steps that must be followed in order to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based Darkobas custom ROM on an OnePlus One device:
– First of all, users must download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via Darkobas custom ROM and Google Apps to their PCs;
– The OnePlus One will be connected to PC via USB cord;
– Android Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file will be saved to the phone’s storage memory;
– The phone will be turned off and disconnected from the PC;
– Users will enter into Recovery Mode by press holding Volume (Down) and Power buttons;
– then, they will clear the phone memory (wipe data/factory reset) and the cache memory (wipe cache partition);
– They will head to ClockworkMod recovery, select “Advanced”, then tap “wipe dalvik cache”;
– Users will return to the main recovery screen, where they will tap “install zip from SD card”, then “choose zip from sdcard” and head to Android M ROM .zip file located on the SD card and start the installation process. The same procedure will be repeated for Google Apps;
– After the installation process completes, users will go to “+++++Go Back+++++” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now”;
– The installation of OnePlus One Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow-based Darkobas firmware will be confirmed by going to Settings and selecting About phone.
Every techie needs a pair of sick headphones. Neurogadget recommends these Audio Technica Professional Studio Monitor Headphones for both their quality and their cool-factor.