It’s been a while since Windows 10 has been available for computers around the globe and it’s about time that it comes to smartphones, Microsoft had made their plans to bring a single uniform version of Windows and maintain it across all the devices that use their operating systems, and they’re finally delivering on their promises.
According to Microsoft, users of Windows phones should start getting their updates by the end of this month (February 29th) but if you’re not interested in waiting that long then you don’t have to, the Insider Preview for Windows 10 has been available for some time and if your phone is on their list of compatible of devices, you don’t have to wait till the end of this month to update your phone.
The list can be found over here and as expected, most of the names on that list are Lumia phones. Be warned however, the Insider Preview is definitely not the final version that will be released to the general public, it’s only for the techies and enthusiasts who don’t mind taking the small risk in testing it out.
We can hope the update to be rolled out on other devices soon after its deployment on the Lumia phones.
Windows 10 Insider Preview
The instructions for installing Insider Preview can be found on Microsoft’s own website over here, as for what the Insider Preview itself is, here’s a quick rundown.
- The Insider Preview is used by developers who wish to make their applications compatible with the upcoming version of Windows, to minimize bugs and glitches when the final update comes.
- It’s basically a large scale test version of the operating system, changes and updates will be rolled out quite frequently and massive design changes as well as feature changes might occur, you may or may not like this.
- If you wish to be of service to your favorite app developers, the Insider Preview lets you do exactly that, by finding and troubleshooting problems that people may face so that the developers have an easier time patching them.
How to install the Windows 10 Insider Preview
Here’s a quick rundown of the procedure:
- Sign up for the Windows Insider Program.
- Make sure that your phone is on the list of supported phones, this is important.
- Open this page from your phone, and then click on the button that says “Download the Windows Insider app”
- You can also install the app directly from the store.
- Simply run the app once it’s installed and follow the instructions you’re provided.
You’ll also be asked whether you wish to receive updates and builds more regularly or only when they’re “stable”, if you’re not interested in having some features of your phone stop working after an update then we recommend you select “slow”.
On the other hand, if you don’t have any problem with troubleshooting and helping the guys at Microsoft out, feel free to select “fast”.