What is WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is the world’s most popular messaging service with over 900 million users as of September 2015. Since its first release in 2010, the app has grown from being fully text-based to include arrangements for sharing pictures, videos, music, documents, and other types of files between users. After having covered all the bases for messaging, Facebook, the current owners of this app decided to add a call feature as well which proved extremely successful. Today, WhatsApp is one of the most commonly used mobile apps for messaging and calling – and the best part is that it is completely free. At most, users are charged for an internet connection or data charges through their service provider. Excellent for overseas trips, WhatsApp now comes preinstalled on most mobile devices. You do not need to create a separate account either; it will simply use your phone number and automatically sync all of your contacts. In short, WhatsApp will have you up and running in no time. The intuitive design and easy access make this app a favorite among all age groups.
Why do I need to update it?
Like every other app, with time, some bugs are uncovered and general improvements are made to improve performance and enhance your messaging and calling experience. WhatsApp is regularly modernized with official updates available through iTunes and Google Play. WhatsApp 2.12.12 comes with numerous new features, including a completely redesigned settings tab with improved organization of various categories and available options. It also comes with rich link previews; which allows for a title and brief text description along with every link that you send your contacts. Additionally, this version also includes improved 3D touch support for iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus users which allows them to use Peek and Pop gestures with WhatsApp. Another feature for users running iOS9 or iOS9.1 on their phones is the ability to add a quick reply or answer WhatsApp calls via their notification bar without having to switch tasks. Users can also “star” or mark important messages in conversations. This will work just like a bookmark and allow users to easily find messages later on. All starred messages will be stored in a separate section under the Chats tab.
Steps for updating WhatsApp:
In order to update your device to WhatsApp 2.12.12, follow these simple steps:
- Open WhatsApp and go to the Options tab.
- Select Settings and then select Updates.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Follow the on screen instructions to install the update.
- If you have a limited data package, we recommend using a Wi-Fi connection because of a file size of over 50MB.
- Alternatively, WhatsApp may periodically prompt you to update to the latest version when you open it.
- Another way to update to the latest version of WhatsApp is by visiting the WhatsApp Messenger page on iTunes. Simply visit the iTunes store and search for WhatsApp or look it up in the Social Networking category.
- Android users can update WhatsApp on their device by following the steps given above; or by visiting the Google Play store.
- Windows users can update by following the aforementioned steps or by visiting the Microsoft store.