Despite the Pro latched to its name, Google Earth Pro is actually free. Well, this is true since 2015.
Before that, you had to shell out a jaw-dropping $400 per year. Now, both Mac and Windows users can download this software without having to pay a thing.
Just take a look at all these amazing things you get to do with Google Earth Pro:
- You can get the distance between points
- You can create media content using the Movie Maker tool
- You can print images that have high resolution
- You can map GIS data by importing large vector image files
- You can use the Spreadsheet Importer to map addresses
Essentially, being able to do more with Google Earth is what separates the Pro version from the standard one. And given the advanced capabilities of Pro, it’s more geared towards business users.
In fact, those in the media have used the tool to enhance their reporting. Construction companies have also benefited from it by using Pro to survey different locations. While Pro was created for business clients, this shouldn’t stop you from downloading this exact version. After all, it is free of charge.
So if you’re a Mac or PC user and would want to get access to what used to be $400 worth of tools and features, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the official Google Earth site to start your download. You’re presented with two buttons on the homepage: one for Google Earth and another for Google Earth Pro. Click on the latter to take you to another page.
- Click on the Download Google Earth Pro button. The page you’re taken to after the first step is another introduction page where it spells out the differences between the basic Google Earth version and the Pro version. Depending on your screen, you might have to scroll down to click on the button.
- Let the installer do its thing. If you’re running Windows, you will be presented with an executable file (.EXE) which you should allow to run. Mac users, on the other hand, will have to open a DMG file then a PKG installer. Although you can customize your installation, leaving the default settings is fine.
- Log into the program using a username and License Key. The username in this case is your email address. Don’t be thrown off by the License Key because it’s simply GEPFREE. While you’re still on this step, you can just go ahead and check the box for Enable automatic login. This way, you don’t have to keep remembering the License Key.
And that’s it! That’s all you need to do to get the free version of Google Earth Pro. See? You didn’t even have to break a sweat.
While there are so many cool things you can do with the Pro version of Google Earth, try and see whether you really need to get this exact version. It may be free but it would be a complete waste of space if you just use it to get a bird’s eye view of the planet.
If that’s the case, the basic version would do just fine.