Want to find out if anyone in your WhatsApp contact list or Facebook friends has blocked you? There are several ways you can tell. It may hurt to find out, but find out you must or prepare for an un-friendly surprise. A word of caution, stay calm and keep your cool.
How to tell if someone has blocked you on WhatsApp
WhatsApp’s FAQ page listed down several indicators that shows you have been blocked from someone’s contact list. But the company is quick to admit that the indicators are left intentionally ambiguous to protect everyone’s privacy, including yours, in case you want to block someone else. This list below is taken directly from WhatsApp’s FAQ page.
- You can no longer see a contact’s last seen or online in the chat window.
- You do not see updates to a contact’s profile photo.
- Any messages sent to a contact who has blocked you will always show one check mark (message sent), and never show a second check mark (message delivered).
- Any calls you attempt to place will not go through.
There are also other ways to tell if you have been blocked, including the following:
“Last seen…” status
Open a conversation with a suspected “blocker” and send a message or anything. If you see the words Last seen…, it is unlikely that you are blocked. If you don’t, then you have probably been placed under blocked contacts list.
Profile picture status
Check out a suspected contact’s profile picture and see if you can still see the status. If not, then you are likely to be blocked, since you can no longer see their profile picture.
Single check mark
As previously mentioned, if your message only shows a single check mark, this only indicates that a message was sent but not delivered, which will be shown through a second check mark.
All 3 indicators, however, are no longer as reliable when treated individually, as there are tricks to hide the last seen status, manipulate the one check mark, and misdirect by deleting a profile picture. If you combine all three, however, then the probability of you being blocked will increase.
How to tell if someone has blocked you on Facebook
- When you can no longer click the person’s name from previous chat messages, or the name is in bold style and all black, instead of blue.
- When you send a message and it returns an error.
- When you try to Report Spam or Abuse a particular conversation with a suspected contact and it returns “Operation prohibited”.
- When you tried to visit a suspected contact’s profile page using their personal Facebook URL and it returns the error message “The page you requested was not found”.
- When you ask a common friend if the suspected contact’s profile is still visible on their end, but aren’t on yours.
Whether you are blocked on WhatsApp or Facebook, a sure-fire way to find out is to make voice calls. If your call doesn’t go through, then you have been blocked. How about you take advantage of this and go snooping with a few tricks and tweaks?
Take your mobile photography game to the next level with this affordable clip-on lens kit from Xenvo. Comes with a macro lens and a super wide angle lens that easily clip onto your phone for professional-grade photos on the go.